Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Good Food and Great Deserts

Thanksgiving dinner. At our home when I was growing up it was always about three in the afternoon.
Prior to dinner you picked at snacks, celery with cream cheese,celery with peanut butter, crackers and cheese, usually the cheese ball made its' appearance along with the sliced cracker barrel cheese. Olives,grapes,dates (ugh) assorted nuts. Chips and dip. Deviled eggs. Little sandwiches with no crust on the bread. The Macys' parade would be on TV and everyone waited for the appearance of Santa Claus. Back then you rarely saw him before that. On a few occasions we had other family members over for dinner but it was not a traditional thing at our home. My Moms' family may attend and I remember once my fathers' brother and his family being there. The big family gathering was something we thought only happened on TV.
It was always a happy time and everyone in the holiday spirit. My older brothers may have gone hunting earlier but I don't remember them bringing anything home. I can remember there being snow on the ground.
My father would be around the house,not working on any project,which was very rare. He would even be wearing dress clothes ! It was his job to make the gravy ! He would also help smash the potatoes. Didn't use any electric mixer back then so you used the potato masher.
When the time arrived for dinner the tv was shut off. We gathered around the table to begin our feast. At this time it became a little awkward as we had to decide who was going to say grace. Now Mom and us kids went to church every Sunday. My father very rarely and only if it was a very special occasion. The result was always the same,one of us kids would say the grace. Looking back I wonder why it was such an awkward thing for us to do. It was the only time in the year our family said grace together. I still don't really understand why that was. As I said we all attended church regularly. My father wasn't anti religion or anything. I guess it was just the fact that you had to say it out loud. As a kid I was afraid I'd mess it up,how exactly,I don't know.
Thats' the way I remember Thanksgiving going at my childhood home. I very pleasant time spent with family.
Good food and great deserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment