Monday, November 15, 2010

Its' a Classic

Went grocery shopping the other day and noticed something I hadn't really paid attention to before. A lot of the snack items I enjoy are now labeled,"classic." Those thin pretzel sticks,classic style,regular potato chips;classic,even Coca Cola is classic. Made me think of all the other things I like that are now considered classic. Muscle cars of the sixties. The music I listened to in High school. The style of clothing I wear. Even some of the food dishes I prepare at home are now classic dishes. You can buy just about anything and find it in a classic edition. When it comes to marketing, things become classic pretty quickly.
I looked up the definition of classic in the dictionary. On line though not your classic dictionary. A classic is, of the highest quality,lasting value,authoritative and perfect as a standard of its' kind,always fashionable. It is also synonymous with, timeless,immortal,ageless,lasting,abiding and unforgettable.
After reading that it makes you wonder why one would want anything else. I want the classic. Seems like it would be a pretty tough propostion to make anything that could compete with a classic. But then again we are just never satisfied are we ? Always looking for something better. Its' human nature and can not be denied. For most of us though, we reach a certain point in our lives and become comfortable with certain items. It is at this point that something becomes a classic. Funny thing is, it is only classic to others not to us.
To us it is just the way we like it. I just like plain chips no other flavorings please,just coffee, no foam, nuts or anything else in there and jeans that fit right.
Now take my wife for instance, "She's a Classic." Fits the definition alright but I had best not let her hear that !

1 comment:

  1. I think its an age thing - live long enough and we'll all be classics!

    ReplyDelete