Monday, November 8, 2010

More Identity Issues

I wrote earlier about a change of identity and how it changes over time,martial status and family ties.
This morning I read a blog by a friend that addressed an identity issue. In any small town there are different groupings of people depending on your social status or wealth. Maybe you are from the wrong side of the tracks. We all know what that implies but that is not to say you can not make good and move to the other side. Some people however will never recognize that and keep you in the old niche. Being wealthy can be a bad thing too,at least in the eyes of the less fortunate. We all know the image of the fat cat banker. Perceptions can be distorted and misunderstood. Yet we all want to belong in some group. We can either embrace the grouping we are in or try to become identified with another. It is a slippery path to follow for sure because perceptions of the group change over time. What was once a very special and elite group is now common. Social attitudes change rapidly.
I think a person needs to find their core identity and make peace with that. I identify myself with having grown up in a particular area in a particular town. I'm proud of that heritage. I don't attempt to identify myself in any other way or try to adopt a heritage that isn't mine. My heritage is not superior to any one Else's it is just mine !
Dr. Phil could do a show on this topic I'm sure. Someone said Be True to yourself and I concur with that statement.

1 comment:

  1. We always joke that we live "north of the highway but south of the tracks" because its all so silly, right? I also kid my husband that he married "up" because he was on Talmage Lane and married me, from the other side of the tracks (a few hundred yards away....) Funny how we like to catagorize people but I think its a way of identifying each other and as old as time...

    ReplyDelete