Saturday, November 20, 2010

Expression

I just love different expressions. Different ways of conveying a thought. My Dad had quite a few of them.
Some I will share here, others I won't as they could be offensive to some. Other expressions I hear people use and have no idea of their roots but find them amusing. Language can be very colorful without being vulgar.
I give my father no credit for inventing these expressions but he used them a lot,
He is a half a bubble off of plumb.  ( not right in the head)
Get down on your prayer handles  ( on your knees)
A little light on your feet                  (gay)
He couldn't pour water out of a boot if the directions were on the heal  ( self explanatory)
An educated fool                       ( someone with a degree but lacking in common sense)
Three sheets to the wind              (drunk)
Its' snotty out on the water today  ( windy with a chop)
Slicker than snot on a doorknob   (self explanatory)

These are a few I heard him use often and when I was older he added a few more salty phrases. He was always careful not to use them in the presence of ladies or children. A practice I try to follow.

Some other expressions I find amusing are,
Three fries short of a happy meal
The light is on but nobody is home
The stairs don't reach the attic

I'm sure there are more but I am at a loss to remember them right now. I do think we tend to be less inventive in our descriptions today than in years past. Perhaps this has something to do with being politically correct. It also may be the result of the far more frequent use of obscenity to describe anything.  I do know that the descriptions my father used where not meant to be offensive to anyone but where just that; a description. I do think that these expressions just come naturally and not by a conscience effort. Why some endure and others do not I don't know. I keep listening though.

1 comment:

  1. My own favorite: She's not the sharpest tool in the shed!

    ReplyDelete