Friday, November 5, 2010

Tee Shirts

I wonder at what point in time the Tee shirt became the most widely worn piece of apparel. Somewhere,someone printed something on a white Tee shirt(formerly known as an undershirt) and Bang a revolution was born. Men,women and children all wear them. You can find them in every shop that sells clothing and in a lot of places that don't. Advertisers love them,sports teams adore them,shoot who doesn't like a good tee ? You can purchase them in all price ranges. Some people collect them. Hollywood stars wear them with a suit.
I haven't taken a survey but I think men wearing a white tee shirt under a dress shirt is getting to be the exception rather than the rule. In some circles it is considered a bit geeky,like buttoning the collar button. Now I think men would have far more tee shirts that are worn as shirts than undershirts. In some cases underwear, particulary boxers, are trying to creep out as well. Don't think they will ever fully emerge though.
I mentioned in one of  my previous blogs the wearing of pajamas as outerwear in public. Thought that might end with cold weather but today I saw flannel PJS'.
My guess is the wearing of a tee shirt as a regular shirt was the beginning of  informal America. Prior to that we called our elders Sir or Maam,held the door for the ladies,said excuse me (a lot) and thank you. Remember the story Clothes make the Man ? Its' proven time and again to be a truth that is unavoidable.
Wearing our tee shirts we can be cool,hip,counter culture,support our causes,raise awareness and be all that we can be ! An amazing garment for sure and deserving to be in the light of day. After all,James Dean and Fonzi wore them. Now as to Men wearing shorts all the time,another discussion another time. Not my generation ! And my Mom tells me ladies going from dresses and skirts to wearing slacks was quite a revolution in itself !

1 comment:

  1. When my mother wore slacks (back in the '50s) to wash her windows outside, she received a note from our elderly aunt who lived next door. It contained a quote from scripture about women wearing men's clothing (it was an "abomination"). Mom was still talking about that 50 years later! By then she was wearing jeans...

    ReplyDelete