Friday, November 26, 2010

Just Sayin'

Working in the retail industry,which I haven't done since high school,I'm getting new insights into people and products. Some are interesting,some amusing and some puzzling. While putting products on the shelves I often read the packaging. Its' a marvel the different ways the products are described. I know the companies spend millions to figure out how to advertise their product and get us to purchase them but in some cases I wonder about the thought process.
There are many sizes available. Family size,meal size,snack size,party size,and personal size to name a few.
My personal favorite is in the candy section,fun size candy bars,the implication here that other sizes wouldn't be fun. A lot of the products tell you they are a good source of vitamins and minerals. Most will also say they are essential vitamins and minerals. I thought they all were essential but apparently not.
People are fun to watch. Almost all women will check the date on the milk but hardly ever  a man. Everybody checks the eggs for breakage but only a few check the date. Some study the different choices for the best deal while others just grab and go. Watch people checking out produce sometime; it can be a hoot. Squeezing,sniffing and pulling back leaves are very popular methods.
The particular grocery I work in does not provide you with free bags. You can either purchase bags or use boxes that are provided free of charge. (Subject to availability). The most puzzling behaviour I have witnessed and not just by one individual but several involves this. After checking out they place their grocery items in the box and take them to their car. This is were the puzzling part comes in,they then take the separate items out of the box and place them in their vehicle. They do not have another box,bag or tote of any kind in the vehicle but just place the items loosely in there. I'm trying to figure out why. Could it be that you don't want the extra box around ? Are they carrying each item into the house and putting them away ? Its' a puzzle.
No matter.I do enjoy watching people and it can be quite entertaining. I'm sure some watch me and think the same as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment