Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Plans

My grandsons' fourth grade class took a field trip last week. They went to Baltimore for a short cruise on a steamship. Following that they also took a tour of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. A good time was had by all although the weather was a bit cold and windy. My grandson says the water was very rough.
He was also very impressed by the Naval Academy. It was about this that he spoke the most. A regular tour guide took them around and I was surprised to learn no one from the Navy addressed the children at all.
The Naval Academy is a very historic place and many traditions are followed there. John Paul Jones is entombed there as well. My grandson,Mark couldn't say enough about it and had many questions for me.
I'm retired from the Navy myself so I can speak about it with some knowledge. I was also stationed there for a short time. I didn't attend the Academy though was an enlisted man. Mark wanted to know how you get to go there. I explained about having to have excellant grades in school,being of excellant moral fiber,and having recommendations from civic leaders like your Pastor,Police Chief,or councilman. I also explained that you can recieve a recommendation from your state senator or congressman. They are allowed two each per year.
(Pretty sure about that but could be mistaken)
Yesterday morning when the kids were being dropped off Marks' mom,Maria handed me a letter. This letter was handwritten on yellow lined note paper. It began," Mr. Congressman." Mark had written this letter. He said he was practicing for the real letter to be written. In this letter he explained to the Congressman why he should be admitted to the Naval Academy. He has very good grades in school.He pays attention in class. He doesn't get into trouble.He plays soccer,baseball and can wrestle. These are all things he felt important but the most touching part of the letter said, I love America and am willing to take a punch for it. Also that his Grandpa was in the Navy and he thought he would continue the tradition.
Mark is a remarkable young man and I'm very proud of him. I'm sure by next week he will want to be a fireman or policeman but thats' fine. I just had to share this story. Its' a grandpa thing !

1 comment: