Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Reaffirmed

I will say it wasn't unexpected. I will also say it was a relief. My grandson Mark was accepted into the Junior National Honor Society. We will be attending his induction this thursday evening. I am fairly bursting with pride. I see it as another huge step in the direction of success. I believe the path we follow begins early in life. His path is certainly going the right direction. Now we have to hope he doesn't stray from the path. There can be many distractions along the way. Sports can be one of them. Mark loves to play soccer, but sports can also be a character builder. The desire to fit in, peer pressure, can enter into the equation. I hope he chooses to hang with the brainy crowd. On a positive note, it is cool to be smart nowadays more so than when I was young. Of course that is just a matter of perspective, I'm betting the brains thought they were cool ! Anyway there is one other stumbling block yet to be encountered. Girls ! Yes, girls. Talk about a distraction. Girls have been known to take a man down at least 50 IQ points. Yup, I have done a few dumb things myself because of that distraction. We can only stand by and watch in that regard. That force cannot be harnessed by us mere mortals.
Mark frequently talks of college. We all explain to him the building blocks needed for that endeavour. He is aware that a scholarship will be very helpful, if not necessary, for this to happen. He also speaks of attending the Naval Academy. This induction into this society is just one more little duck falling into place. I see great things in his future. I am so proud to be a part of it. I even think I may have influenced him in some small way. Isn't it wonderful to take pride in the accomplishments of your children and grandchildren. It is a reaffirmation of our lives. It is in their achievements that we live on. Mark hasn't disappointed in that regard. And his sister is right behind him ! Does life get any better ?

No comments:

Post a Comment