Sunday, May 26, 2013

Crazy Old Man

I have never been one to follow the crowd. I tend to exist on the fringe. I will rush in to join the crowd if I feel the need, but will quickly retreat as well. This is true of me in fad and fashion as well. I pretty much wear whatever I feel comfortable in within the bounds of decency and convention. I do like the traditional and accepted ways. I would even go so far as to say I challenge change. Tried and true is usually the best for me. 
This hesitation to follow the crowd extends even to my dancing. I do not know a single formal dance of any kind. I have always danced to my own beat. I won't say it is a good sight but it is what I do. My brain does not function in a way to allow me to memorize any dance steps. I can tell you how to reassemble a  V-8 engine step by step, but the waltz or electric slide, no clue.
This is not to say I am anti social. Quite the opposite is true. I love to talk to people and interact. I just like to be different. Is that a need or desire for attention ? Probably so. A head doctor would more than likely make that diagnosis. I am well aware of that but find just agreeing with everything to be boring. I need to spark a little lively debate. Some take it as argumentative. I call it discussion. As long as no one starts yelling that is. When that happens I normally leave. I will admit to liking getting the last word.
I have found the older I get the more likely people are to listen. A deference to aging I suppose. I hope the things I do say make some sense. The older generations must pass their knowledge and understanding to the succeeding generations. Not everything can be learned in a book or Goggled for that matter. There is a subtleness to life that take years to understand. One needs to reflect upon their life to gain that. I hope I generate that interest by discussion. 
I have also found that while aging can bring a measure of understanding and acceptance to life, one need guard against a few things. Be careful to not get bitter about the disappointments of the past. Do not become angry with change. For everything that you can no longer do, there is something you can. Do not become jealous of youth. 
I expect there are some that will say, he is just a crazy old man. That's fine, I'm okay with that. They will realize the error of their ways one day. It is kind of a compliment if you think about it. At least they are listening and remembering some of what I'm saying. Different gets you noticed. There is a fine line between being different and being obnoxious. Eccentric is also a fancy way of saying, different. I think you need a lot of money to be eccentric though. I don't think I'll ever obtain that status. I'll have to settle for crazy old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment