Monday, May 20, 2013

Lessons of the past

We should use memories to learn, not to incite. That is a simple message but one yet to be learned by the majority. Occasionally I see stories on the television about moments in the civil rights struggle. All too often the story serves little more than to incite negative feelings. They appear to be counterproductive to the intent.
I don't think this will change anytime soon. The opening of old wounds is a painful affair. The beauty of the scar does little to ease the pain of the injury.
I am saddened by those that wish to use these old wounds as an excuse. The things of the past, are the past. I should not be held accountable for the actions of others. Why should I be held responsible for the cruelty of man to man. Should our skin color or religious views make us accountable ? All of history is just a memory. A recording of the actions of mankind. We should learn from them.
I do not think you can exact revenge for wrongs of the past upon the present. To avenge those wrongs on the next generation is just wrong. Do not punish me for the crimes of my forefathers. Yet in all of history this continues,even to the present day. Human nature does not change. This desire for retribution is a part of our makeup. Man is capable of learning. Through conscious effort we can suppress our base desires. We can learn to live civilly. The enacting of laws will not do that. Only our own enlightenment can accomplish the task. We must learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment