Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Finance and Faith

I recently had a discussion about old churches. A friend of mine had remarked that she knew of an old church that had been turned into a bar. We both agree that is a bit of a sacrilege. We both agree, as well, that they are just buildings after all, but still . The grand cathedrals are safe from such a fate. It is the little country churches that are subject to this abuse. It is the simple country churches that I find the most appealing. The old wooden structures painted stark white standing proudly against the horizon or tucked safely in a grove of trees. I know of several within a short distance of me. Two are now private homes. The others are maintained but not in active use. I wonder about their fate. It is my hope that they remain intact,unblemished and unspoiled from their original intent. At one time, loving hands built those structures of faith. How many hours of worship have they witnessed ?
I wonder too about the people that used to attend those churches. Where are they ? Where have they gone ? Have they all passed on or did they just build a bigger church ? Hopefully the later is the case. I can understand the need for a larger building and perhaps one with more comforts. Perhaps these smaller churches do get used on special occasions and that too would be wonderful. A short time back I investigated a church like this. Turns out the congregation no longer exists. It was a branch of the Baptists that has gone to history, a faith no longer practiced. The church still stands,surrounded by the graves of the faithful.
The newer churches I have seen built just don't have the character of the older ones. Other than a few church like features, a steeple of sorts and some stained glass windows, they don't really resemble my idea of a church. I suppose that is where faith meets finance. The cost of construction versus its' use. Most of these modern churches are more like assembly halls to me. Not that I'm an expert on these things, or have even been inside many, but the ones I have, that was the impression I received. A large stage in the front and a sound system. Really a multi purpose setting. I didn't get that warm feeling I get in the older buildings, but maybe that is because the older buildings had a singularity of purpose. They were built to be the house of God.
I don't mean to sound like I'm down on any Church building. Mathew said, wherever two or three gather in my name I am there, or something similar to that, it is the gathering that matters. It is also true that finance plays an important role. We have to do whatever we can to continue. I just would prefer the old style churches to the modern designs. In their intended purpose they are equal. I do wonder if these modern church buildings will endure as well as the old. I'm thinking do to their design they will. The building will be repurposed should the congregation move on.
A final thought is this. Where is the faith that lead us to build the churches of old ? The great cathedrals and the little country churches ? They were built with the conviction of their purpose. Their purpose was only one. In these modern times we like to multi task. Perhaps we should return to that singularity of purpose that drove us to build those churches. Focus on the real meaning. Dedicate our finances as well as our faith.   

No comments:

Post a Comment