Thursday, May 9, 2013

Nip It

On the corner of Church Street, across from the post office, sits the home of Judge Laird Goldsborough. A man of historic note and one of Greensboro's more prominent citizens. A one time adjutant General to the Philippines he authored their first constitution. Part of this home is of pre revolutionary war construction.
The Judge passed away in 1970 and the home sold. It was subsequently turned into a restaurant. At first it was a rather upscale eatery. It featured french cuisine and had visiting chefs from time to time. That endeavor proved to be unsustainable here in the town of Greensboro. The owner moved his business to another town.
It has sat empty for a short while. Now, once again it is opening as a restaurant and has a small pub. The first place had a bar as well. The only difference being this. In the front window ,on the upper right hand side are two neon signs. One is advertising Budweiser Beer and the other Yuengling. I saw them lit for the first time last evening.They look like two sinister eyes staring from the darkness. It came as a bit of a shock.
Why you ask ? I've lived here for over twenty years now and have never seen neon signs advertising beer in any windows. They appeared in stark contrast. As I said, the business is in an old home and looks like an old home. Those signs just don't fit the scene. My impression is that it looks tacky. Are you running a restaurant or a barroom. Knowing the history of that home only adds to the chagrin I feel. An insensitivity to history is all I can say. It sits on Church Street because on the opposite corner was a Church. The Old Methodist Church before it was torn down to build the post office.
I wish the current owner all success. I would much rather this building be used and have life than to sit idle. Greensboro needs an infusion of commerce. I just feel like it should be done with a little nod to the history. Advertising the restaurant is necessary. Placing glowing beer signs in the front windows does not fit that bill. It all starts with one. Now, before you know it there will be neon signs lining the streets advertising all sorts of wares and beverages. Why, before it is over Greensboro will look like Las Vegas ! I think we should just Nip It ! Nip It in the bud, before it propagates!  Already, behind the restaurant inside a fenced area I can see the tops of brightly colored umbrellas. Can rowdy consumers of alcohol be far behind ? It looks like a den of iniquity to me.
Some will call me an alarmist. Some will say I'm old fashioned. Be that as it may. Far better to endure that, than to have my Grandchildren staring at the neon and saying, Gramp was right ! We should have just nipped it !
Those signs are hiding in the daylight,but they are there.

The History

1 comment: