Saturday, May 25, 2013

Crusade or Quest

From time to time a restlessness comes over me. The spirit of my ancestors acting upon me. My ancestors immigrated from Germany and Sweden. They married into established families already here in America. One line were Whalers, chasing the big fish in search of wealth. Another branch were merchants. I've had ancestors involved in railroading. My ancestors spread across the land. I myself, joined the Navy and traveled all over, finally settling in Maryland. I feel  my moorings may not be fast. I get the feeling there is another move yet to be made. But more likely it is just one more grand adventure that I seek. Too bad it is the 21st century or I could embark upon a quest. We don't do that anymore, now it is just a road trip ! Boring.
The real question would be, what would be the nature of this quest ? I am not motivated by treasure and search for riches. A quest has to be for something important and meaningful. A quest could also involve a social change or is that then a crusade ? Well, maybe I could be a crusader for change. I would have to be careful about crusading though, we all know how the last crusades turned out. Wasn't all glory I can tell you that.
This is just a passing phase. It comes around in cycles. Restlessness. What will be next ? Boredom or excitement ? That is what keeps life interesting. You can never be sure what will happen next. Strange how it isn't very interesting when you are living it, but gets pretty good in the retelling. I'll have to give this crusading idea some thought. A quest sounds good as well. For now, I have chores to do. While I'm doing them I will be singing to myself, " to dream the impossible dream , to fight the unbeatable foe " c'mon you know the rest.





No comments:

Post a Comment