Saturday, May 4, 2013

Picturing the past

My sister in law is here visiting for the weekend. Always nice to have family around. As she was sitting in my living room she remarked how she enjoyed the fact that I do not change the pictures of the kids as they grow older, just add the new ones. I hope that is clear to you. In other words I still have pictures of them from when they were three hanging alongside a current photo. Some may think I have too many pictures on the wall but I don't think so. I think having those older pictures displayed lends a continuity to my home. I'm not saying one should live in the past but rather one needs to live with the past. A big difference ,don't you think ?
I have old photographs of Grandparents,Great Grandparents, Uncles,Aunts, Mom and Dad and all the grandkids. They all share the space on my walls as they share the space in my heart for them all. Past or present makes no difference. Love of family spans generations and I see no reason why it shouldn't span the past as well. The old pictures remind me of the past and the new keep me in touch with reality. Sometimes that reality can be a stark contrast to just a few years ago. I do think it serves to keep you grounded. It also gives me reason to be grateful every day for the things I have. The people that have touched our lives and those that are responsible for our lives are forever bonded.
What about you ? Do you store the older pictures and replace them with the new ? Do you take a picture out of a frame to replace it with another ? That is something I never do. Once a picture has been framed it remains in that frame. I like old frames and they are important to the picture. The frame becomes a part of that memory. Even when the frames become chipped,faded or just plain old looking they retain their value.
I will continue to add pictures to the walls and tabletops as long as my wife permits. One person's passion can be another's nightmare. Not that she doesn't appreciate them or understand my fondness of them, after a certain point it can become just a little too much. I get it. It shouldn't look like an art gallery it should look like a home. On the other hand I wouldn't mind living in a museum. According to some I'm a bit of a museum piece myself. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment