Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Just Steering

I was listening to the radio and an Alan Jackson song came on. I like Alan and his style of singing. He was doing that song about when Daddy let me drive. It reminded me of when my own Dad let me drive. Or more properly he let me steer. Dad had a big old Cadillac. It was about a 1958. It was used but a fine automobile.
I was sitting in his lap and he worked the pedals. I couldn't reach them. He let me steer. We were going across a road named Abrahams Path. This road was an old tar and chip roadway that ran through the woods and dissected the town. Twisting and turning and full of bumps without a shoulder of any kind. I aimed that car down the center. I can still hear Dad laughing and saying keep it on the road. That big Caddy had a mind of it's own. It constantly fought me for control. Dad had to grab the wheel a couple times and ease her around the bend.
All those memories went through my mind as Alan sang. In fact that time is the only time I can remember Dad doing that with me. It wasn't until I got my learners permit that I drove with Dad again. By then he had a Dodge Charger. That car was much lighter and much faster. We were driving on a two lane highway. This road was paved with concrete and much smoother. Dad told me to pull out and pass. Clicking on the blinker I pulled out and started to speed up past the person ahead. Dad reached over and pressed down on my knee and made that car take off. I remember my knuckles  turning red holding on to that wheel. Seemed like I was flying ! Dad laughing and saying, when you pull out to pass you gotta give it some gas boy ! That was his idea of a driving lesson.
I look back on those times and smile. If a father did that stuff today and anyone knew about it he would be in trouble. Child endangerment or some such thing. Now a father can't even teach their children to drive,at least not legally. The state doesn't recognize that. You have to pay to attend a driving school. I think that is just a money making deal. When I was in high school Coach Ted Meyers was my drivers ed teacher. We got a 10% discount on our insurance for completing that course.
After Alan was done with that song another tune came on. This one was a man singing about, she thinks we're just fishing. Another good song. One line goes something like this, she don't know it but this memory is a big one and she thinks we're just fishin. And I thought I was just steerin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment