Friday, May 4, 2012

Captured Memory

I just love my old photographs. I like looking at them and remembering. Others I like looking at and speculating . I am fortunate to have pictures of Great Great Grandparents, Uncles, Friends and some unrelated people I've heard of. My Mom has told me their names or it was written on the back. I'm getting quite a collection of them. The thing is I like to have them out where I can look at them. Photo albums are nice for the preservation of these memories but they are to be enjoyed. And the enjoyment comes in the seeing. I am lucky that my wife is somewhat accommodating in that regard. I don't hear too much protest about all the snapshots I have hanging on the walls or in frames on almost every horizontal surface I can find. Given free reign I sure my walls would be completely covered with them. If unchecked it could border on the " hoarder " syndrome.
This affinity for old pictures started curiously enough with the grand children. I started putting their pictures about. Then I began working on the family tree. Those old photos made their way in. And now it has escalated to just about any pictures that catches my interest. If I know the location of the picture, I'm interested. If I know the person, however obliquely, I'm interested. If it has any historical significance, I'm interested. I can't get enough of them. I'm even getting some from cyber space and Facebook. Pictures I would never have gotten any other way.
My only fear is what will happen to these photos when I am gone ? How many times have we found old photos in albums covered with dust. Names and faces staring out at us. And we don't have a clue about them.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I agree. It would take a thousand words to adequately describe a photograph to someone unfamiliar with the content. And in some cases more. Whenever I run across this, I am both curious and sad.
I am involved in several big projects at the moment. I have little time to begin another. A friend of mine and a fellow blogger was just writing about men and multi tasking. It was her opinion that men are terrible at multi tasking. She seems to think we men start more projects than we complete. I can't disagree with her completely on that score. I find myself contemplating yet another project. This project would involve all my pictures and explanations about them. Sort of a This is Your Life kinds thing. More than just a collection of photographs with names and relationship. No, I  want to tell more of the story. Perhaps to make it somewhat interesting to anyone. I can't stand the thought of these memories being lost. In the end that is all any of us have, memories. I always say, as long as we are remembered we are not gone. And I think I have a fear of being forgotten. I think all of us do. Fear of the unknown is often quoted and there is something to that. For me though, it is the fear of being forgotten. The point of capturing an image is to capture a moment in time. To remember that moment. I have many captured moments and want to share them with everyone. I do not want them forgotten when I am gone.
I'll have to give this project some more thought. I would like to present it in a unique way that would be entertaining to anyone. Family would have a natural interest but what about others ? Strangers even ? Given the technology of the day I have many options available for producing and printing. I do believe in that KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. LOL  Too much information can be a detriment. But you need enough. A thousand words ?
  

1 comment:

  1. I have a passion for photos too, Ben. I have most of them in albums, but there are a good many of our ancestral and current family members framed and out on tables and dresser tops. I,too, want to know the stories behind old photos...so someone, somewhere,someday, may find your photos and be amazed and appreciative of your efforts!

    ReplyDelete