Thursday, May 10, 2012

Evolving

I turn on the news and what do I hear ? The president has " come out " on the issue of same sex marriage. Surprise,surprise he is in favor of it. He is running for reelection but I'm sure that didn't influence his decision. He states his position on this topic has been evolving. Talk about your double talk. Give me a break. By the time you are thirty five, the minimum age required for the presidency, it is my belief your views on that particular subject is already formed. Evolving ? Does someone change their core values and belief system through evolution ? The president clearly states he wants to " affirm " his belief that same sex couples should be allowed to marry.
I have written about this subject before and my views haven't evolved. No matter what happens regarding this proposal I will not support it. Civil Unions, perhaps. As I have stated in the past, in my opinion, it is all about money. The same sex couples want the same tax advantages as everyone else. I can see that point of view. I just can't see calling it a marriage. But that is not what I wanted to talk about this morning.
I just find it hard to believe that the president could be so transparent. To come out now and say I support this measure. He is nothing more than a sellout. Not that he is the only politician to go this route. I'm not saying that. I just find it distasteful. For years he has said my opinion is evolving and just at the most opportune moment,bam, he has his response. I can only imagine polls show this to be the politically correct answer. If the polls had shown otherwise I believe his response would have been too.
And that is what I think about that. The president has lost even more of my respect. He never had my vote. The next time my wife asks me if her outfit looks good on her, I'll tell her, my opinion on that is evolving !

1 comment: