Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Relatives

I woke up this morning and as usual checked my e-mail. There among the messages and spam was an interesting subject line. Relatives. Opening the message I began to read. This letter came from a man named Gunnar Hagberg. Hagberg was my Grandmothers maiden name. He went on to talk about her and shared enough information that I could say definitely he is a relative of mine.I found this to be an exciting thing for me. Finally all that work and research on her family is paying off. It will take some time for me to wrap my head around this development. I will have to sit and fit him into the picture.
I have so much information to share with him. Pictures and writings. Stories about various relatives. I can't wait to share. And of course there is much to be learned. A part of me wants to be selfish and gather all the information I can from him. I'm a little beside myself. I keep saying, this is so cool !
Gunnar,an interesting name because it is foreign,was born in 1947. That makes him 65. He tells me he lives in Stockholm with his wife Lena. I never had the chance to visit Sweden during my Navy days, but have been to Scandinavia.
I am so looking forward to communicating with him. It is indeed a small world. My Grandmother arrived at Ellis Island in 1900. One hundred and twelve years later her grandson receives mail from the homeland. A route has been opened. The information super highway has reached Greensboro,Maryland and streches to Stockholm,Sweden. Now how cool is that ?

1 comment:

  1. That, my friend, is VERY cool!!! A similar thing happened to me when someone in Scotland emailed me with info on Mike's GrGrandfather's family. Not even my own blood, and yet, it excited me to fill in some more limbs on that family tree!

    ReplyDelete