Monday, May 14, 2012

Getting Prepared

I have sometimes wondered why I got this sudden interest in history. When I was younger and still living at home history surrounded me but I ignored it. Those old folks always talking about things from years ago. You cares about all that ? Turns out I do. It has come as a bit of a surprise. Now I sit and think about a lot of, what if's and why didn't I's. If I had only, is a common way for my thoughts to travel these last few years. Oh,well nothing to do about it now. I can only hope to capture some of that information from the few that still remember. My Mom is the last of my ancestors still with me. All the grandparents are gone and all the aunts and Uncles. All those that would have known me as a baby. All those that would have known my Grandparents. The generation before me evaporated before my eyes. I'm sure there are still some of their contemporaries around and doing well but I'm not in contact with any of them.
A thought did occur to me about this interest in the past. Maybe it is because I subconsciously want to be informed. My time on this earth is numbered. I don't know what the number is but that it exists cannot be denied. Death and taxes await us all. Maybe that is why old folks (like me) become concerned with the past. Knowledge is power. Don't want to go to heaven and not have any power. Oh, I expect they are forgiving enough up there but it still pays to be prepared. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I should at least try to become familiar with names and relationships. Wouldn't want to seem like a dummy.
There is another possibility. Maybe when you get older you just like to talk about things that others can't argue with you about. They can't argue with stories about the past when they weren't there. Puts you in a good position doesn't it ? The facts the way I remember them are the facts. I can always trump your comments with, I was there. And if you are talking with others that do remember they will be your age and probably agree with you. Darn kids always have these new fangled upstart ideas about things ! That may be what your history book says but it ain't exactly so. Yes,maybe that's it.
Whatever the reason I admit to enjoying the learning of it. They say you need to know the past to understand the future. That very well may be the truth and I bet it was said by an old person ! The past cannot be changed but the interpretation of it certainly can. All things must be considered in the context of the times. All people as well. 

1 comment: