Saturday, May 12, 2012

Building Character

We have all heard that children can be the cruelest creatures. They can say and do things to each other that are thoughtless and just plain mean. This year, in baseball, I am watching this being borne out. I'm helpless against it. All I can do is offer advice and reassurance. I know it is tough on him but it's killing Grandpa. My grandsons ball team is not having what you would call a stellar season. They have been suffering some heartbreaking losses. Some of the blame is being shifted to him. His batting skills are not on par with some of the others. He is hearing about it. That and his running speed is not real fast. He is larger in size than most of the others and consequentially not as fast. He is not overweight just tall and thick. He is going to be a big guy. Some of the others are really getting on his case.
I never really played any organized sport. I played in gym class and among friends. In those arenas I would say I was an average player. I never really had to deal with a team getting down on me. The pressure on him must be great. I do think he is handling it well. His skills are improving and in my estimation he is not the worst player on the team by any stretch. It is a tough thing to witness.
As much as it pains me to see this,there isn't much about it I would change. Perhaps the coach could offer a little more positive reinforcement. But the thing is, it is a life experience that he must learn to deal with. People are not always supportive and encouraging. Others are not always accepting. There are those that berate others in an attempt to make themselves feel better. A tough lesson to learn but a necessary one. So far he has dealt with it with grace and dignity. I am proud of him for not wanting to quit. I am proud that he still stands in the field and at the plate with his head held high. It takes courage. I'm hoping this does not discourage him participating in other organized sports. Being a part of a team is an important thing.

1 comment:

  1. It's very tough on kids to have to learn these lessons about people in this way, but how else will they become aware? I know, from experience, how mean kids can be to others. My own kids and grandkids have been on the receiving end of this. Unfortunately, those who are finding fault haven't yet learned to temper their wording so that feelings aren't hurt by what they say. Grandparents hearts break when they see this happening to their precious grandkids.

    ReplyDelete