Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Future Hope

A while back I joined the Caroline County Historical Society. The Greensboro chapter. I live just across the street from the museum and the Log Cabin that we own. We have another building in the process of restoration as well as another book. As anyone that reads my blog probably knows I love history and the learning of it. I have taken my grandson with me on several occasions when hosting the museum and cabin. The museum is currently open the first Sunday of every month along with the cabin. This weekend the Caroline County Chamber of Commerce will be hosting Paddlefest on the Choptank river. It is an annual event and a major fund raiser. There will be some activities right here in Greensboro on Friday night. I will have the museum and cabin open. I was telling my son about this and suggested to him that my grandson Mark should join the historical society. His response was, is there an age limit ? I laughed and said ,No,as far as I know anyone can join. I think it would be a wonderful thing for him. I already call him my assistant docent for the cabin. He does enjoy telling people about it. Never too soon to start preparing him for college grants and such.
As a member of the Greensboro chapter I can tell you our membership is small and none of us are what you would call young. We are not old, just mature. I'm sure Mark would find our meetings pretty boring but he need not attend those. I'll ask him about joining but I'm sure he will want to. A membership card of any kind is a big deal to a kid. He does have a quick mind and finds things interesting. I hope I can instill in him a love for history. He could be an asset to our little group. I found it amusing that my son would think you had to be a certain age to belong. I guess history is associated with old people. Well, most were young when history was made. And I guess it is fair to say mostly old people remember it. That's because we have the time to think and reflect upon it. We have finally learned to slow down and smell the roses,so to speak.
The past shapes the future. If I can get Mark to join our society and learn from the experience, perhaps it will shape his future as well. Who knows where it may lead him. I always say, you have to know where you've been, to know how to get where you're going. Heard that somewhere and it always made sense to me. I see great things in store for Mark.

1 comment:

  1. Kizzie in "Roots": "How you know where you goin' if you ain't know where you been?"

    ReplyDelete