Friday, May 25, 2012

Pride and Sorrow

I attended my Grandson's " Fifth Grade Farewell ". For some reason,which I don't recall,they could not call it a graduation. Whatever the name it was a nice little ceremony. Awards were given out, a song was sung by the graduates and a few speeches made. Mark received the " Presidential Award for Academic Achievement " and The Citizenship award. Naturally I couldn't be prouder. One of the teachers put together a slide show. What a wonderful thing. I don't know if any copies of that slide show are available but I think it would be a great thing to have. I wouldn't swear to it but I think most students appear in it. I know Mark does on at least five occasions.
Next year Mark and company will be attending the middle school. Lockerman it is called. Hall lockers,homeroom and no recess ! What a change that will be. And not just for him. Mom will have to get up a little earlier and Grandma will only have Morgan,our Granddaughter,to get on the school bus. After school will be different as well. Mark getting home first. A lot of changes for sure.
I don't recall ever having any graduation ceremonies other than high school. Perhaps we did. Today things are a lot different. Stickers,stars and awards are given out at an alarming rate. Each accomplishment and moment is celebrated. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, just that it is a frequent thing. I'm sure the awards given out as just as appreciated by the students as the ones I received.
So Mark has walked down that first aisle. The graduate headed for higher education. He can enter middle school with pride in his accomplishments in elementary. A solid foundation has been laid. Academic achievement looms once again on the horizon. His future is bright. The world he is preparing to enter is different than that one I entered at his age. The world is a lot more dangerous and less care free. Competition is fierce. More is expected and demanded. I know that he will meet the challenge and exceed their expectations. Pride and a bit of sorrow. I'm very proud of him. I couldn't ask for more from a grand child. I'm a little sad to see him grow up. It's a mixed emotion for me and I'm sure it's a mixed bag for him as well.
It is good that we should reflect upon the past and savor those memories. It is just as well that we look forward and anticipate the future and what it holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment