Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial

As a child I always attended the memorial day parade. The older folks would still call it Decoration day. Although I never did it myself, it was a tradition where I grew up for the kids to decorate their bicycles and ride in the parade. Red,white, and blue streamers woven into the spokes,rosettes and of course those small American flags. Those little cloth poppies being sold by the Veterans. That tradition is fast falling by the wayside.
The veterans groups also placed the flags in the cemeteries and performed a small ceremony. Taps were played and a gun salute rendered.
In the early days following the civil war it was a day to decorate the graves of the fallen. Entire towns would go to the cemetery and clean and maintain those sites. Speeches were made and picnic lunches eaten. Stories were told. I think it must have been a wonderful thing. Surely it would have brought the townsfolk a little closer together,if only for a day. Some history preserved.
As I walked through the cemetery yesterday to place a few flags, I was looking for others. I was pleased to see many small flags waving in the breeze. It is a solemn sight and will give one pause. Not all of those flags represent a life lost in combat but, they do represent a life offered. That it was not taken was providence from the almighty. For is not all life a gift from the maker ?
I have been working on a history project lately. In my research I found a Lt. Col. Comegys. He assembled a unit of civil war soldiers in this area. The First Maryland Infantry,Eastern Shore. He and his unit served throughout the war. They all made it home. His grave is in the Greensboro cemetery. I placed a flag next to his stone. I wondered how many years it has been since anyone had done that. I had noticed that those little flags are far more numerous in the newer sections of the cemetery. That struck me as sad. I'm thinking after two or three generations pass, most become forgotten. Families move away. If you did not know the person personally, or your parents did not, it is unlikely you know of them. I know, for me, I have moved from the traditional burying grounds of my ancestors. Many of those were veterans. I wonder if anyone places a flag for them.
It is only right that we should be reminded of their sacrifice. It is only right that we honor them in death. Many speeches have been made. James Garfield may have said it best when he said, "I am oppressed with the sense of uttering words on this occasion. If silence is ever golden,it must be beside the graves of fifteen thousand men,whose lives were more significant than speech,and whose death was a poem the music of which can never be sung." Those words were spoken shortly after the civil war. How many more men have paid that price since ? And in silence they lie in the graveyards of this nation they fought to preserve. It is fitting we should preserve their memory. Remember at 3o'clock pm today to pause for a minute of silence. As Garfield said, if silence is ever golden. 

2 comments:

  1. Rest assured Ben that the veterans and scouts spend the entire weekend laying flags at the graves of all the veterans in town....and this morning there will be taps played at each cemetery. My son-in-law is the trumpet player!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, Barbara answered your question about the flags on our family Veteran's graves. It's such a wonderful tradition, and I thank the men, young and old, who take part in the ceremonies at the grave yards.

    Garfield spoke a mouthful in those few words.
    A great posting, Ben. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete