Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Snap shots

Seems as though it is picture season here at Grandpas house. Anyone that knows me knows I take a lot of pictures. Pictures of just about everything and anything. But the pictures I'm talking about now are those taken professionally. In other words, the ones you pay for. School pictures just came in. There hasn't been much change in them since I was the subject of them in grade school. The same stock backgrounds and stiff posed appearance. You would have thought by now someone could have figured out something a little better. As we all know most posed pictures just don't look too good. Like your drivers license photo ! The kids bring them home and we look at them and remark how wonderful they are. We give them all the praise and obligatory complements. We have a habit of replacing last years shot with this years, usually leaving the old one in the back. The stack is getting a little thick now so I'll probably have to archive a few. Yes, I keep archives. That is what I call my chest full of old photos and papers. Sounds professional.
Little league pictures were just taken last week. It will be a little while before they arrive. I wonder why that is when I can do a digital upload to the pharmacy and have my prints in an hour. But it will take them at least two weeks,if not more. Tonight we will be taking my grand daughter Morgan to her ballet class photo shoot. Grandma will do her hair up real pretty and she will wear her recital outfit. I'll get some good shots before she goes.
If it weren't for the group shots I don't think I would even bother with these pictures. I could be biased but I think the pictures I take of the kids are just as good and in some cases better than the ones I'm paying for. I say that but you know you have to buy the pictures. The school gets their cut of the action. The kids would feel left out if you didn't and those pictures are good for a few laughs later on in life. I have only a few of mine. Most got lost somewhere along the line.
Some things never change. We have been taking photographs of important events since we could take pictures. Before that we just drew a picture. The wealthy had a portrait painted. Almost all of these pictures and portraits look pretty much the same. With one notable exception, the Mona Lisa, and I'm not too crazy about that one either. The best ones to me are always unposed and the person being photographed unaware. Then you can capture the essence of that person.
Sixth Grade


No comments:

Post a Comment