Sunday, May 27, 2012

Anniversary

Twelve years ago today my son Kevin got married. When your child gets married you naturally have reservations. Is it love that they feel or is it something else ? Are they making the correct choice ? Why didn't he ask me first ? I could have given him some good advice. After all. I have experience. She certainly seems like a nice enough girl. And the questioning and  anxiety continue. I have to say she made a beautiful bride. 
I remember the wedding like it was yesterday. A wonderful outdoor ceremony held in the state park. I was best man. It was an honor and a privilege. Not many Dads can say they were asked to do that by their son. A singular honor, I'll always cherish. It was a simple straightforward ceremony and wonderfully conducted.
The reception was an enjoyable occasion to be sure. All the traditional dances and rituals. The meeting of two families. Members of her family meeting members of mine for the first time.  
Since that time she has given me two of the most wonderful grand children ever. I can't imagine life without them. They are both an inspiration and hope. They inspire me to do what is well and right and give me hope for the future. Not for my future,the future of the country. With those two in it it has to be a better place. I'm convinced each will make a significant contribution. 
As for that " girl " that my son married all I can say is, I couldn't have done better myself. Turns out she wasn't a " girl " after all. She was a young lady. Smart as she is beautiful. A kinder more generous soul is not to be found. My son has indeed made the correct choice. It now seems as though Maria has been a part of my life forever,just as I pray she will a part of my sons. Marriage and family. Family and marriage. Both sacred institutions. Maria is my family ! I couldn't be prouder.
Happy Anniversary to you both ! You guys make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment