Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Being a Fan

Being a Yankee fan living in the enemy territories I often hear the same thing. The Yankees have the best team money can buy. It is unfair that the Yankees can buy the best players. I have been accused of being a Yankee fan because they are winners. A kind of reverse jumping on the bandwagon. Let me set the record straight. I have always been a fan of the New York Yankees. I don't like the Mets. I despise the Boston Red Sox.  Let me repeat that, I have always been a fan of the New York Yankees. I wear my Yankee ball cap almost religiously. I wear other Yankee gear too. I have my grandson Mark following the Yankees despite his being born in Maryland, despite his father being an Orioles fan ( somehow I failed him ) and despite the objections of his friends. He is a smart kid !
I mention all of this now because the Baltimore Orioles are the best team in baseball, for the moment anyway. Statistically speaking at this point in the season they are number one. Congratulations, but it won't last. The Orioles haven't had a winning season in fourteen years ! The excitement in these parts is reaching a fever pitch. The fans are so accustomed to losing they are not sure how to react. But talk about jumping on the bandwagon ! All at once everyone is saying what a loyal fan of the Orioles they are. Funny how most of them are wearing brand new gear. Couldn't be that they don't have have any older stuff. Of course not, they have been big fans for years. Right.
All kidding aside, I have a dislike for those that engage in that behavior. I can't stand it when people change what team they support based on the standings. I can't stand it when people change what team they support based on where they live. I've lived in Virginia,Florida,Maryland,New York,New Jersey and Connecticut. I was a Yankee fan in each one of them. I wore my Yankee ball cap in each one of them. Oh, lived in Florida too. Was a Yankee fan there. I am happy for those die hard fans of the Orioles. It would be great for them to have a winning season to enjoy. Too bad they will come in second to the Yankees though. Still a second place finish would be great for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment