Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lighting the Graveyard

Like most things it has been a gradual process. I have noticed it growing in popularity. Then the other night it became really evident, the lighting of the cemetery. I was driving home after nine at night,pretty darn late for me these days,and had to pass the cemetery. As I rode past I could see small lights in a couple different colors all throughout the place. A creepy feeling came over me. That scene just struck me as something out of a Stephen King novel. My immediate reaction was a shudder. Then it was quickly followed by this thought, how am I going to get any rest in that place, with all the lights on !
In my search for history and necrology records I have spent some time in this cemetery. Walking slowly along checking each grave site for clues. The inscriptions on the stones are the obvious clues but there are others. An American flag may indicate a veteran. Sometimes loved ones leave other clues. The very size of the monument may be a clue. I have noticed that the newer stones may contain much more elaborate engravings. Pictures of tractors,favorite pets or even sports teams are quite common. One memorial even has a satellite antenna system. Dish network I believe. The everlasting plan with local channels.
Each of us grieve in our own ways. Some stones sit lonely and unvisited. Others are ornate and the site carefully tended. Some show restraint, and in my opinion good taste,while others are a bit flashy for me. Now this lighting of the grave. An eternal flame was lit and is still maintained for President Kennedy. That was the first. I thought it a touching tribute. I expect these solar powered lights are an attempt to emulate that. I respect that. If that provides a measure of comfort to those placing them,that is their purpose. I wish them peace.
As for me, my personal choice would be,no thanks. A solitary marker and simple inscription please. A mention of U.S.N. retired would be a nice touch. When I go to my last sleep,please turn out the light.
Or as they used to announce in my Navy days, " Taps,Taps,Lights Out. All hands turn into your own bunks, maintain silence about the decks, lights out." Heard that each night at ten o'clock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment