Sunday, April 1, 2012

Gramp

On April 1st we all say Aprils fools day ! It is all in good fun. For me April 1st is always Great Grandfather Floyd Lesters birthday. He was born on this day in 1878. He was born in East Hampton and that is where he passed away. As far as anyone knows the farthest away from home he ever went was Montauk. I have a postcard with him on it advertising the Maidstone Taxi. Standing proudly next to his horse and wagon. That turned out to be a failed venture. At various times his occupation is listed as farmer and clerk. He never went in the military but registered for the draft in WW1 and WW2.
I know that he delivered groceries for Ralstons store in East Hampton. So, he had a drivers license at one time. I never saw him drive a car and rarely did he ride in one. He enjoyed his cigars. He chewed on them more than smoked them. Always dressed in a three piece suit. He carried a cane as well.
Gramp, as we all called him passed in August of 1968. Ninety years is a good long life. I still miss him and every April fools day I say Happy Birthday Gramp ! And that is no joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment