Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Gravy

I was privileged to know a man by the name of Meredith Graves. At least I think that was his name. I always called him Uncle Gravy. He was a business partner of my Uncle Petes'. Graves and Reichart builders. They built many a home on Eastern long Island. He lived right down the road from me in a development called Hampton Waters. It was a fine split level home. I thought it quite large and luxurious. A big fireplace dominated one end of the great room and it was painted white. Only white fireplace I had ever seen.
Uncle Gravy was a good friend of my Dad. He would come to my home often and visit. I was young enough then that I would climb up on him and sit in his lap. He was a wonderful man. At some point he gave me a cuckoo clock. I think it was when they were moving from an apartment uptown into their new home down to Hampton Waters, but don't quote me on that. Uncle Gravy had two daughters but they were much older than I. Maybe as much as three, four years older so I paid them no mind. His wife was a kindly lady but I don't remember much about her.
Uncle Gravy rescued me from a mean dog on one occasion. There was a small pond in the woods down the street from his house. I was on it ice skating. When I got ready to leave a large dog approached the edge of the pond and started growling at me. The hair on his back was raised and his teeth was bared. Every time I tried to leave the ice he would growl and threaten me. I didn't know what to do. I started hollering, HELP ! Uncle Gravy heard me and came down there and run that dog off. I was sure glad to see him that day. Some time later that same dog jumped over a fence and hung itself. It was a mean one.
Gravy,as Dad would call him, looked and dressed like any other carpenter of the time. Tanned deeply from working in the sun. Strong calloused hands. Usually dressed in tan Dickies work pants,a tee shirt and work shoes. Come to think of it I don't remember him any other way. A man that enjoyed drinking a few beers after work. What you could only describe as your typical blue collar worker. But ,he wasn't ! No sir. Prior to being a carpenter he was an artist for Walt Disney ! He had been employed by the Walt Disney company to work in their studios. He had a special gift for drawing dogs. I had seen these drawings on his walls  and asked about them. He would just modestly say, yeah I drew them. Being rather young I never asked too much more about that. The fact that he worked for Walt Disney was enough for me. I could see those pencil drawings and man they were good.
The years have passed and I don't know what ever happened to Uncle Gravy. Looking back I sure wished I had asked him for a drawing. I don't know what happened to the clock. Thinking about this though reminded me not to judge a book by it's cover. From all outward appearances he looked and talked like any other blue collar carpenter. That a talent for drawing lie hidden inside has fascinated me all these years. That he had a job with Disney and left it fascinates me even more. I'm sure he had his reasons. Just how do you go from that extreme to being a builder in East Hampton in the 1960's ? I'm betting the whole story would be a fascinating tale indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment