Saturday, April 28, 2012

Who is he ?

This past week I've been working in a different store. The man that owns the Save a Lot where I normally work is opening a new store. This will be number seven for him. I went to this new store to help prepare it for the grand opening. Employees from all his other stores were there as well. Some from management and some of us " standard " employees. It has been a while since I had worked alongside others that I didn't know. Conversely they didn't know me. I should explain a little for any of you that don't know this. My son is the " Regional Manager " for lack of a better term. He oversees all seven stores. His home store is the one where I normally work.
While working in this" foreign land " I was aware of certain dynamics. Other than a representative from the Save-A -Lot corporation supervising the set up of the store, I was the oldest person there. The younger people eyed me with what I can only describe as suspicion. Unsure of my position within the company they were mostly polite and helpful. The owner came in on several occasions and spoke to me casually. This threw them off a bit too. I was working right alongside them, doing the same jobs as they. A couple times I was assigned a task that could be considered as " getting a break." A special favor even. That I spoke to my son, and they were unaware that is who is is to me, on a personal level added somewhat to the mystery. I was asked by several what store I worked in. I told them Greensboro. Most had never been there and knew nothing of Greensboro.
The days were long and very busy. There was little time for any social interaction. Do this,do that. The atmosphere was tense as the deadline is fast approaching. I would arrive,with my son,as we rode together. Sometimes we arrived later than the others. Sometimes we left sooner than the others. This added to the puzzling question of just who was I and what position did I hold. Of course the answer is simple. I'm just another employee. Perhaps I do receive certain considerations. I do work however and try to pull my weight.
I think that depends on what ground you are standing on. I think I work just as hard,if not harder, than the others. I'm sure they think the opposite. But that is a different discussion altogether.
It was somewhat refreshing to be around others you don't know. A temporary change. I'm grateful for the chance to meet them. I'm sure I will be seeing some of them again. I occasionally travel to other stores with my son to help him with certain projects. I'm looking forward to that. By then the word will have leaked out. Most will know who I am. And that is amusing. At least to me it is. Some will wonder why would a father work for his son ? I've had people ask me about that. I don't have a problem with it. Guess that is because of my age. Maybe because he's alright to work for. At any rate I don't find it uncomfortable. I like things just the way they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment