Sunday, April 8, 2012

Taste

There are those that have expensive tastes. I'm not one of them. Yesterday while at the grocery store I decided to try some fresh ground Mills Brothers coffee. They sell sample bags that is enough for one pot. I was at the Dover Air Force base commissary and the price was $1.25. What the heck I'll give it a try. There were about twelve different blends to choose from. I read each name and wondered about each one. Hazel nut didn't seem appealing. I like hazel nuts just don't think I want them in my coffee. Chicory ? Unless I'm mistaken that isn't anything but tree bark. Well, I just went and settled on Breakfast Blend. I drink most of my coffee in the morning and they didn't really say what the blend consisted of. Probably better off not knowing that. I noticed the price per pound was $7.99. To me that's expensive. But for that price you do get to grind your own.
So here it is Easter morning and I'm having my Mills Brothers breakfast blend coffee. It is not an unpleasant tasting coffee. To sum it up, it's alright. My everyday Folgers classic roast is better however. I've tried that Starbucks coffee too and wasn't impressed. Dunkin' Donuts isn't all that either. I figure it has to do with expensive tastes. Guess I'm just a plain person. I take my coffee black,no sugar. The best cup is an old ceramic mug with a few chips in the rim.
These tastes run to other things as well. Give me a plain chunk of beef on the grill. A potato. Them fancy expensive foods don't taste like much to me and you never get enough on your plate. Cracker Barrel is a bit pricey but at least you get enough to eat. When it comes to pictures hanging on the wall I want the one where you can tell what it is. Those expensive ones all look like the artist spilled his paint bucket. You can get some mighty good art at the sale at the Holiday Inn.
Well this cup of coffee isn't bad but I'll not be buying it by the pound. I'll stick with the Folgers, thank you. I will admit to buying a cheaper store brand coffee and found that to be awful. They say you get what you pay for. I guess that is true but you don't have to pay the most that you can either. More expensive isn't always better. 

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. I'm a Maxwell House gal myself when I'm at home, strong, a little half and half, no sugar. When "oot and aboot", I really like Dunkin' Donuts coffee. We are 'home cooked' fans too...Mike is a bit fancier than I am, but still, preferred to fancy restaurants. I'm not a designer clothing/furniture/shoes person either. As long as I'm covered in something that is somewhat attractive, I'm good to go. Must be the Bonacker in us, d'ya think?

    ReplyDelete