Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Saving Money

I'm sure you have heard the old saying, " it takes money to make money " well, that should be paraphrased to say " it takes money, to save money."  I'm always seeing all these government incentives to save money. Put a new energy efficient heating systems in your home and get a tax credit. Yeah, right after I pay my fuel bill. Install insulation and get a tax break. Yeah,right after I buy a home. Buy a new hybrid car and get a tax break. Yeah, right after I pay sixty five dollars to fill the tank on the car I already have. I'll start saving my money ! Are you kidding me ?
It is the age old story and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The rich get richer and the poor stay poor. I just can't help but wonder what the thought process is. Given the state of the economy perhaps we would be better served offering incentives and savings to the average working men and women. Please note I did say working people. No more entitlements to the welfare recipients and tax breaks for the rich ! Where are the incentives for the person to secure employment at minimum wage ? If you are a single Mom that doesn't make economic sense. You are far better off financially collecting food stamps and all the other government entitlements. One need only sacrifice their pride. Perhaps offering a subsidy if you prove you have a good record at employment, IE: coming to work on time,attendance,and performance, would prove more beneficial to stimulating the economy. Personally I can't see where just giving away some cash does a whole lot in the big picture.
The list of available " freebies " from the government is staggering in it's scope. Everything from free cell phones to tax credits for installing solar panels on your roof. I'm no economic genius, you can tell that by my checkbook, but I do know you can't give away billions of dollars and expect to remain solvent. Seems like half the country wants to work and the other half is standing in line with their hands out.
I fail to see the logic in spending money to save money. It is akin to buying an item on sale that you don't need. Yeah, I got 10% off but spent 90% on an unnecessary thing. All these tax credits, rebates and incentives are just smoke and mirrors. Great for those " who qualify " but not very good for the rest of us. Those shortfalls have to come from somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment