Sunday, April 15, 2012

Defining

I suppose as we age we begin to ask ourselves questions. The whys of life . Why did I do this or why didn't I do that. We ask why are we here and does it matter ? All those things that you gave no thought too when you were young. I expect it has always been so. At first everything is new to you. A time of wonder. Then after you settle in for a while it is all commonplace and blase. You go along for years never really paying attention to the big picture. You become encapsulated within your own little world. It is only when you begin to realize that, yes, indeed you are mortal, do you begin questioning  the meaning of the whole deal. I certainly have no answer for that. Perhaps there is no answer. At any rate that is neither here nor there. It just is. And I think I'll just leave it at that.
Another question I think we all begin to ask ourselves is how other people see us. I don't mean as old or young or attractive and unattractive, not seeing us in a physical sense. No, I think we begin to question our own life choices, morals and ethics. Are we really what we think we are ? As sure as the face in the mirror is not always the face others see, I have no doubt our own conceptions about ourselves are different as well. It is a difficult thing to be completely unbiased and truthful, even with yourself. After all, who knows the reasoning behind your choices more than you ? It is quite easy to justify oneself. We all have a bit of conceit in us. We all have pride. We all have secret opinions that we just keep to ourselves.
Each of us live our lives according to our own code. And in each life there is a defining moment. It may come early in life or maybe hours before death. Have you had a defining moment ? Truthfully I would have to answer, No. I can not think of a particular instance that would fall into that category. That I will have one, I don't doubt. That it may have already occurred is a possibility. An interesting thing is to attempt to define yourself. Just you ,to yourself. Not to share with anyone else. It is not an easy task. In the end all I hope for is that I be defined in a simple way, He was a good man. That would be enough. Think I'll work on that.

1 comment:

  1. one can only put their best foot forward and hope that's what others see. and, your writings define you, you're a nice guy benny reichart!

    ReplyDelete