Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sizes

Sizing. I've been noticing the resizing of America for some time now. First it was in the products being sold at the grocery store. The physical size of the package has not changed just the weight of the contents. Got less. Then the candy bars changed in size and price. Smaller size, larger price. Ever notice sugar now comes in a four pound bag ? Looks the same as it always did but read the label. A lot of products have gone this route. I figure it is a marketing strategy. Keep the look the same but provide less product. A subtle change that maybe you won't notice. A few less squares on that roll of toilet tissue. No one will notice and we can sell a few more rolls with those that we saved. You get the idea.
For a while it was the plan to make everything larger. Super size it. The plan there was to show you what a great savings you would get. Make that burger a little bigger for a few cents more. Large fries and super sized drinks. The grocery stores started selling those industrial sized boxes of cereal and canned vegetables. Everything bigger. Bigger is better.
Now this probably isn't anything new but I just noticed it. Clothing sizes. Except for the addition of a few pounds I haven't changed all that much from say, twenty years ago. I'm still the same height and about the same build. Slim is how you would describe it I believe. My waist is a 34 and inseam 32. My chest is probably a 38 or so, I've never measured it. Yeah, I got a bit of a belly but other than that I'm pretty much the same. So how come I have to buy an large or extra large shirt ? Wore a medium for years. Wouldn't be the fact that large and extra large generally cost a little more would it ? The companies wouldn't be trying to use less material and charge more would they ? I think it is part of the plan. Try to make me feel like a big man. Well.it ain't working folks. All I feel is ripped off. I know I'm not an extra large.
These companies are trying to resize everything. If they could they would make 11 inches a foot ! Getting less for more is what they want. Toledo scales had a motto " Honest Weight ". We need a return to that along with a return to " honest sizing ". 

No comments:

Post a Comment