Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A dream job

I went to a informational meeting last night. The State of Maryland and Caroline County are working together on the Harriet Tubman byway. Harriet Tubman , as you may know, was a famous " conductor " on the underground railway. She lived in and around the Greensboro area. This byway is a route exploring various sites known to have been associated with her and her activities. A representative from the department of tourism gave the presentation. Very informative and knowledgeable. The potential for gain in tourism dollars is exciting. The actual byway will run from Maryland all the way to upstate New York and if all goes well, into Canada as well.
During this presentation she mentioned the training of tour guides. The exact phrasing she used escapes me at the moment. These tour guides ride on the commercial buses and explain what you are looking at. A group has already been trained and is ready to go. When she mentioned that these guides earn $50.00 an hour I admit my attention became a little more intense. Sounds good to me. Sign me up.
I have visited various historical sites over the years. Old Sturbridge village in  Massachusetts and Colonial Williamsburg among others. I have often thought what a wonderful job that would be. To be a part of that as a guide or reenactor. Perhaps it could get toilsome but I would be willing to risk it. I spent some time talking with a man that was a wheelwright at Colonial Williamsburg and it seemed like an ideal job. Working with wood, crafting wagon wheels the old fashioned way. He explained that they made them for sale to other people for restoration projects or even for everyday use.
I can't help but think this tour guide business would be an ideal position for me. I love history and I love to run my mouth. Give me a captive audience and I'm in heaven. Shoot, I'd almost do it for free. I would do it for less than fifty an hour but it would probably make others mad. I hear tell one can become accredited by the U. S. Park service as a guide and really rake in the bucks too. I think gaining a permanet position at some historic site and passing on the knowledge of it would be tremendous. A dream job.
Well, off to work and the real world. The present day. If you ever need a tour of Greensboro let me know. I'll give you a discounted rate. We would have to walk though, pick a sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment