Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fishin'

They call them bottlefish,blowfish and puffers. Whatever name you use they are delicious little rascals. Mom said they tasted a lot like lobster. I would have to agree. I caught more than my share of them. I had heard that they went away for awhile. Now I hear they are making a return.
I have very fond memories of catching these smaller sized fish. We could catch them with a pole or just using a hand line. The most I ever caught in one day was using a hand line off a rowboat. Just drifting one hundred yards or so off of Sammis beach. Seemed as soon as the line went into the water I had a bite. Putting them in the bucket they would blow up and fill the basket. We would take a knife and pop them so they would deflate. These little fish would also nibble at your toes. Floating on my inner tube from a truck tire my toes were irresistible to them. It didn't hurt at all but would startle you.
I liked these fish for a number of reasons. Easy to catch, they were plentiful, easy to clean and they are delicious. To clean these fish one only needed a tree to drive a nail into and a sharp knife. You skin them much like you would skin a catfish. One slice around right behind the fins and peel that skin off. The skin of this fish has no scales and feels much like sandpaper. It will tear your hands up ! Been there and done that !
After that I would just turn them over to Mom. She would boil them fish and use them to make a salad. I haven't had the pleasure of that salad in over forty years but can still taste it. Similar to a chicken salad but tasting more like lobster. We often called that fish salad a " poor mans Lobster. " On toast with lettuce and tomato, oh man was that " fittin " as the saying went.
All that was a long time ago. I would like to experience all that one more time. I could go catch the fish but doubt if I could make the salad. I must remember to ask Mom about the recipe for that. I don't recall ever eating this fish in any other way. But then again maybe it is best to leave a memory alone. Sometimes that is the case.
All Blowed Up !

1 comment:

  1. We caught them and tickled their bellies to make them blow up. When Mom cooked them, they were breaded or floured, and fried. Some good-o!

    ReplyDelete