Saturday, October 1, 2011

Is it necessary ?

I've probably talked about this before but I can't help wondering about it. Why must the news people report on every little detail when it is potentially harmful to do so ? Last night on the evening news there was a story about a burglary ring. They went into some detail about how you could you use Google maps to scout out the area. To case the joint. How you could sit at home in privacy and security while checking out the comings and goings. I didn't know anything about that beforehand but I've got a great understanding of how to do it now. Thanks News Team for instructing me in the art of stealth surveillance.
Another story involved the apparently random fire bombings of nine homes in Baltimore. They went on to say how the police had no clues and really no ideas. They did explain how to make a fire bomb in case you didn't know beforehand. Then they requested you contact police if you see anyone putting gasoline in a glass bottle. That ought to nab them alright.
Other stories in the past have instructed me in stealing pin numbers at ATM machines,identity theft techniques and how to purchase illegal weapons and drugs. I understand they believe they are providing knowledge to help you guard against these things, but they also instruct. If you were of a mind you can get some pretty good ideas off the evening news shows.
I certainly wouldn't let on about my knowledge or lack of knowledge about solving the case.Why tip your hand ? It just seems to me that too much information is being broadcast. Report the news,sure,but do you really need to tell me how I can duplicate the crime ? Another story tells of a terrorist plot to bomb some federal buildings. This terrorist was going to use model airplanes to launch bomb attacks. I must admit I never thought of that ! Thanks news team for planting that idea. Maybe now some other nut case will try it. Brilliant.
If I see anyone filling glass bottles with gasoline and buying model airplanes I will be sure to notify the authorities. 
I'm just sayin'. There are enough unstable people in the world let's not provide them with ideas and information. At the very least make them think for themselves.Report the news but it is alright to keep some information quiet. I don't need to know every little detail. If I really want to know something there are plenty of resources available.


1 comment:

  1. EXACTLY!!! This one of our pet peeves, too, Ben.
    Makes no sense to us. Of course, if we were criminals, we'd be excited about this...but we're not!

    ReplyDelete