Monday, October 10, 2011

The beat goes on

Tomorrow my sister turns sixty. Wow, who would have thought that would happen ? I'm the youngest at 58. I never thought I would get " old." I really never thought my sister would be sixty ! What's going on here ?
Mom is 82 now, but that is no surprise,she has always been old. Like your grand parents. They were born old.
My own birthday didn't cause much of a stir in me. As I said,I'm fifty eight now and that ain't old. But sixty now, that's a whole new ballgame,another decade for Gods sake !
My sister lives in Florida. I don't get to visit with her very often. Saw her a couple years ago for a few hours. We were in Florida going to Disney World and made the trip to her place. I have no idea when I will ever make it back to Florida and she has no plans to head north. Mom lives in Florida too, and my sister does go see her on occasion. I'm glad that they get together.
I must say my sister is a young sixty though. Her husband has a motorcycle and they take rides together. She is not too old for a road trip to bike week ! They have lots of projects they are doing together and the grand kids keep them both young. I know how that is. No time to slow down when the grand kids are around
I do have two brothers Harold,the eldest lives here in Maryland, and I see him every now and again. He turned 64 this September.Brother Dan, I never see him, is 62. Seems a little strange when you write it down. Almost like role call at the retirement home or something !
After we all left home and went our separate ways we have not gotten back together much. All too busy living our lives I suppose. I was in the Navy and moved around a lot. My sisters husband was a Air Force guy and they moved around . And my brothers,well, they were around somewhere. Now we are all grown up (sorta) and really don't know a whole lot about each others lives anymore. The same closeness we had as children is long gone now. Visiting with them is like visiting a close friend more than visiting a brother or sister. Of course, that is only supposition as I don't really know what it is like to grow to adulthood with your siblings. I wonder about that sometimes. Would we have maintained that closeness, or like so many others you hear about , would there have been a rift between us ? Family doesn't necessarily mean friend ! You know what I mean ?
I do wonder if we had all stayed together in our little hometown what that would have been like. Would we have been like the Waltons ? Or perhaps more like the Hatfields and McCoys ! Sometimes families don't get along because they are too close. You wind up saying things that you shouldn't. Even though you are only trying to help and give good advice. It is something to think about.
Tomorrow is also my grand daughter Shyanns' birthday. She will be eight. She lives in New York and I see her a few times every year,so far. My sister is her Great Aunt ! I had a great Aunt named Mildred. My sisters name is Mildred too. Ironic isn't it ? Shyann born on the same day as her Great Aunt Mildred. I wouldn't call her Mildred though. We have always called her Millie. Shyann has yet to meet her.
Yes, each of us went down our own paths. We each have our own role to play. We each have our own conception of what the others have or have not done with their lives. Choices made. It would be nice if we could all just sit and talk about it all. Talk with no reservations, like we did as children.
Happy Birthday to my sister !
my sister and I

No comments:

Post a Comment