Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blankets and Boots

Had a great day of soccer yesterday. The air was crisp and clear. The sun peaking in and out of the clouds. Fall is in the air and on the field. Saw the emergence of blankets and boots. Blankets on  their  laps and boots on their feet. Sweatshirts, sweaters and jackets. The absence of cold drinks.
Baseball is over and soccer in full swing. Thankfully the soccer season doesn't last long. It was a little bit nippy out there. Haven't adjusted my thermostat yet to the winter setting. My body will make that adjustment, however. I did read just recently how a study was done and guess what ? When we age,we don't adjust to changing temperatures as well ! A real surprise there !
The team I cheer for is the Centreville National Bank team. CNB ! CNB ! CNB ! My grandson plays for them and his Mom works for them as well. She is the loan operations officer ! Their uniform is green so the real cheering is more like, go green, go green. Kinda ironic if you think about it . Green, bank,  money. Go green.
They played a hard fought contest to the very end. We lost the game. Officially we don't keep score. At least that is what I'm always told. Ask anyone at the game though and they know the score. Strange. Has something to do with there are no winners or losers. Modern concept. I keep the score but also the bottom line is everyone had a good time and no one got hurt. That is my favorite game.
He is playing in the U-10 bracket. The difference in size in players can be striking at their age. I've seen one boy at least 6'2 and one barely 5' tall. The girls are the same way. If you don't know them you would wonder about their ages. Some look a lot older than ten. Watch them play the game and you will soon see that they are the same as the rest. Just kids having a good time. Mark is in the fifth grade,as are most of his teammates.
I can remember being in the fifth grade but I seem to remember being older than ten. I know that in reality I wasn't but it sure seems that way. I had never given that any thought before. Must be that I was just more mature than everyone else. LOL I don't know it just seems that way now for some reason.
I'm already looking forward to the next contest. The team improves with each game. Strategy and confidence.
Maybe I'll bring a thermos of hot cocoa. I'll have to check whether the game is in the morning or afternoon.
I'm glad he isn't playing football. I don't think I could sit through snow. I'm not a big fan of football anyway. Gasp ! I know . I just don't care for the game much. Never have been and never will a fan. Really don't know much about soccer either. It is fun to watch in person. Wouldn't want to watch on television though. Like basketball,it stinks on tv.
Following soccer I take a break from sports. Morgan has her ballet classes and the next event will be her recital.Mark will be involved in other more scholarly pursuits. He did try wrestling a little bit last year but I don't think he will this year. We'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment