Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The thing with Amanda

I'm sure you have all heard about Amanda Knox. She is not guilty on appeal and free to leave the country.
Americans are rejoicing everywhere. I'm quite sure there will be a made for television movie about this and personal appearances on the talk show circuit. A book in the offering as well.
The majority of the Italian public are outraged. They are as outraged and upset as most Americans were with the verdict in the Casey Anthoy trial. Or even the O J Simpson trial. They believe she is guilty. In the court of public opinion she is a criminal of the worst kind.
I,along with almost everyone else want to believe the best about a person. To believe that they are incapable of such a terrible act. Yet,we know someone did it. The Italians claim to have the perpetrator in custody. That's what they said about Amanda and her one time boyfriend. Makes you wonder doesn't it ?
I'm wondering if some of this stems from the fact it happened in a foreign country ? Anytime we think of someone being imprisoned in a foreign nation we, as Americans, assume the worst case scenario. A series of horrible images come to mind. We know we are the only truly civilized nation. We treat our prisoners right.
We automatically assume their system of justice is wrong and possibly corrupt.
Amanda Knox was tried in the Italian press. She was portrayed as an American girl ( all rich and spoiled brats ) with an apatite for sick and deviant behavior.Their version of the Enquirer and the Star constantly showed the evidence against her. She was the evil from America.The Italian people,being no different,found her guilty on this information.How many of us form opinions on unsubstantiated claims ?
I choose to believe this girl is innocent of any wrongdoing. I say that based on the belief that all people are innocent until proven guilty.I have no evidence with which to judge.To be more truthful, I must further state I really don't have an opinion. I have a belief. Two different things.
This girl has spent four years of her life in a foreign prison. I hope she can find peace with that. I hope she can just get on with her life. It has been changed forever. Some monetary gain is to be had. I'm sure she wouldn't want to make that trade off again. Not that she ever had a choice. The thing with Amanda is this, how did she wind up in that mess in the first place ? Just bad luck ? Being in the wrong place at the wrong time ? The spoiled American in a foreign nation. An easy target. Why did the Italian press attack her so fervently ?
Maybe for the same reason we attack foreigners in our own country. Dare I say the word ? Prejudice !
And what is Prejudice ? Look at the work to pre-judice, or pre judge. To automatically assume guilt based upon stereotypes. We all would like to think we have no prejudices. We all do ! We may not allow our prejudices to influence our actions, but the prejudice exists. I believe it will always be so. Anything unfamiliar or different is suspect. Whenever something really bad happens we look to point the finger of guilt at someone,anyone ! Sometimes we rush to judgement. Somehow knowing,or believing we do, the guilty party helps us deal with the crime. If we have the guilty party this crime can not happen again. That is what I think anyway. You'd have to check with Dr. Phil or somebody on the physch part.
I wish the best for Amanda and her family. I'll continue to believe in her innocence.May she find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment