Friday, October 28, 2011

A trip to the ER

I will open by saying I have been extremely fortunate to have not needed emergency medical services myself. I have not been to a emergency room in quite some time. Not since my children were much younger and broke their arm or leg. I haven't missed anything.
Last evening, for a variety of reasons, I took my sons father in law to the emergency room. It wasn't really an acute situation but he wanted to go. He is,as they say, getting on in years now and was having some difficulty. I need not go into details as that isn't important to this story. So we went.
Upon arrival we headed for the desk. It was marked " Triage " Sounded serious to me. Last time I was there it was called reception. Did I make a wrong turn and wind up in an episode of MASH ? Didn't settle with me real well. Everyone was dressed in those outfits called scrubs. Who is who in this joint ? I couldn't tell Doctors from Nurses from receptionist ! I later learned she was the Triage facilitator or some such fancy title. After a battery of questions we were told to take a seat in the waiting area. That hadn't changed anyway.
It wasn't too long a wait before his name was called and off we went. This time we went behind the counter where we had checked in. There,behind the facilitator,sat another person that asked the same questions over again and took vital signs. From there we were taken to ER station 6. Making progress now !
The ER nurse came in and asked all those same questions as the first two people. I thought each had written down the answers but I guess not. At least they weren't sharing that information with each other. It was all going into a computer somewhere,either that or they were sending E-mail.
After attaching the blood pressure monitor,heart monitor and some other medical device she leaves. It is quite chilly in there,I guess to inhibit germs, and soon he is signaling for the nurse. She arrives and provides us with a warm blanket. It is not much of a blanket. A little short for a man about six foot tall and thin. A type of flannel I think but practically threadbare. Before this episode is over he will have gathered four of them.
On one of her visits the Nurse explains there are three doctors working tonight. It shouldn't be too long a wait. Expectations are high that this will be a smooth visit. Then it happened. Time is going by and nothing is happening. The nurse pops in and says there was a four car pileup. All the Doctors are busy. This could take a while. Not being unreasonable people we understand the situation and settle down for more waiting.
Something must be going on as there are a lot of people going up and down the hall. And they are in a hurry.
After about an hour things have settled down and are quiet. No more people going up and down the hallway. We ring for the nurse. She arrives and says it could be a while longer, another trauma situation has occurred and they were caught off guard. Oh,ok I understand. I thought this was the emergency room were you prepared for emergencies. No, it's Triage ! That must be the difference. We have been in this little room for two hours now.
By this time my son's father in law has become restless and says he is freezing to death. Older people sometimes do feel the cold more acutely. One more time for the nurse. He requests to be moved to a warmer location. The nurse explains that is not possible but she can bring him another blanket. That answer was not met with enthusiasm.He threatens to leave the hospital. The nurse quickly puts the side of the gurney up in an attempt to keep him there. She ducks out through the curtain and disappears. This action further incites him and he scoots out of the bottom of the gurney and starts getting dressed. It has been two and a half hours.The nurse returns and says,good news,you're next ! I just spoke with the doctor and as soon as he is done he will be with you. Not good enough. We are outta there.
There is no talking him out of this action. If you have ever had to deal with an older person that is upset and determined you understand. Not wishing to create a big scene I agree. His medical condition does not appear to be an acute one and he is not complaining of any pain. I do feel a little nervous about all this but what can you do ?
On the way back to his home he says he is hungry. He wants to go out for a sandwich and a coffee. So,we hit the Burger King for a whopper Jr and a coffee. That makes me feel better. He must be alright. I get him home safe and sound and another episode is over.

1 comment:

  1. LOL Ben! Iwould love to take the time to explain all of this but suffice to say that "triage" is where they determine who is really in need of emergency care and who isn't. Those who are the least in need are at the end of the line. Unfortunately, as evidenced by his being well enough to go out after your adventure, in this case it was him! ERs are no fun - I know - I've been there! Always an adventure...

    ReplyDelete