Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Sign

Yesterday morning as I was leaving for work I heard a familiar sound. One I hadn't heard in a while. The honking of the geese as they make their journey south. Confirmation that winter is coming. I have seen the leaves turning. I have watched the squirrels begin to gather nuts. I have felt the bite of the cold air in the mornings. All the signs are present. Jack Frost can not be far behind. I hear he rides on the backs of the geese.
I love the sound of the geese. A lonely call that seems to echo across the sky. The sky always seems gray when the geese are flying. Their big majestic wings spread wide,slowly moving up and down,their pace is slow and methodical. As  fall disappears ,larger and larger V shaped patterns of these birds appear in the sky. They are relentless and determined. They must reach the south,their existence depends upon it. It has been so since the beginning of time.
I have seen them land in the fields. They stop to rest and eat. I have seen them dot the landscape in such numbers as to be uncountable. I have seen their droppings cover everything in sight. Their personal calling cards. Not a pleasant sight to be sure. But to be truthful about it,it would be sad to not see them come anymore. Their is a price to be paid. A little clean up is worth it.
I'm not a hunter. I'm not sure when the season begins but it should be soon. Those that hunt will be hunkered down in their blinds waiting for their chance. It's a big business here on the shore. There are guides to take the inexperienced or those that have no property on which to hunt. The birds will be cleaned and dressed,for a fee. If done in accordance with the laws and the birds are eaten I don't have a problem with that. Killing,just for the sport of killing,I have a problem with. I have never eaten one personally. Never had the opportunity. I did have a goose once,but I believe it was a domestic goose. Like a duck raised on the farm. Not the same thing.
I will be hearing the geese for some time now. After a short time I will pay little attention to them. There honking will fade into the realm of familiar sounds again. Funny how our minds do that. Yesterday when I heard that honking my eyes turned immediately toward the sky searching for it's source. A familiar sound ,heard for the first time. It must be part of our primal nature. The sound of the geese signalling the coming of winter. Telling us to prepare. To seek shelter and warmth. A lonely,cold sound.
The old folks always spoke of signs. How they could tell the coming of the seasons,weather and all matter of things by the behavior of the animals. Watch the critters,they will tell you. Pay close attention to the sky and earth. Look closely at the wooly worms and the width of their stripes.What are the squirrels doing ? These signs and more where handed down through the generations. Some of that is being lost to us. With each succeeding generation some knowledge is lost and relocated into the world of myth. But remember all myths have some basis in truth. The honking of the geese is a warning. A warning to prepare and not to tarry longer. It is Gods way of blowing the trumpet to alert us. Get ready.
On a final note let me tell you this. I can only speak to the observation in my area of the world, but the winter is going to be long and cold. There will be lots of snow,too. How do I know ? The leaves are telling me. The leaves have started their change and many have already fallen. It is not the changing or the falling that is the indicator. The tell lies in their colors. This year their colors are not as vibrant. They are a little dull and subdued. They are also very dry,even after all the rain we have had. Already I can see the silhouettes of the trees against the morning sky. The geese have alerted me and awakened me from my summertime snooze. A time when the living was easy. Time to get up,get moving and get ready. Old man winter is coming to visit and it's gonna be a long one !


No comments:

Post a Comment