Monday, October 3, 2011

Your Thoughts ?

I listened to the interview with Andy Rooney and his final piece on sixty minutes last night. He is quite the character. I did learn some things about him. He doesn't give out autographs for one thing. Imagine, a writer that doesn't want to write his name. And also he says he doesn't want fame. He doesn't like answering letters written to him and doesn't like to be bothered in public. When asked about being an icon,he smiled and said he doesn't think so, but enjoys being called that.
In his final piece he tells us he has mostly just written what most of of us are thinking. Andy says there are few original thoughts in the world anymore. I tend to agree with him. In my own meager writing I have noticed the things people enjoy the most are things they already knew. Most people,myself included, don't like being preached at. If you can say what others are thinking in a different way you can be successful. I didn't realize Andy Rooney had once been suspended for three months. Apparently he offended the homosexual community.
I have always enjoyed his honest way of reporting. He always seemed to point out the facts,as he sees them,in a straightforward way. Unlike some of the "shock" bunch Jeraldo comes to mind, he doesn't resort to foul language and trash talking. I didn't know about the suspension until last night but I never found him to be offensive. I will look into what was said. I will reserve my judgement until then.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Andy tells us ours. The man is 92 years old and has earned his place in the world. He is entitled to ruffle a few feathers and be a bit grouchy. It is something I've noticed. Older people tend to be grouchy and a bit impatient. I used to wonder why. After all, they are retired and where do they have to go,they have nothing but time on their hands ? Then I started getting older, not old yet,just older. I've been known to get a little grouchy and impatient. The reason is, the older we get the less time we have, literally ! So I have less time for foolishness and pussyfooting around. Get to the point !
Older citizens just want to finish up business. Some of us have a lot of unfinished business and some do not. That my friends is a whole other issue entirely. I would attempt to explain about that but I don't have time right now.
On the bright side there is a job opening on sixty minutes. Maybe I'll send them my resume. There is nothing on it about writing. If you read between the lines though you would see that I always had an opinion. I could send them a link to this blog. I'm only 58 so I could fill the position for quite a few years. I'd work for a reasonable rate too. I didn't hear them say anything about who was going to be his replacement. Oh, and I would quit having my eyebrows trimmed if that would help.



No comments:

Post a Comment