Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Good Intentions

I was watching the evening news and got a chuckle. Happens a lot to me. What is supposed to be a serious news report I can't help but laugh about. Falls into the category of I need to laugh so I don't cry. They were talking about the trial of a man accused of using his political office for personal gain. I know ! Shocking isn't it ? Senator Currie is accused of accepting 245.000 dollars from Shopper food warehouse as bribes. He says he was hired as a consultant. He paid the taxes on the money but failed to report the income on his Senate ethic forms.
The part I found funny about the deal was the defense. Yesterday his lawyers were trying to claim that he is an honest man but was disorganized ! Later in the day they even hinted he wasn't too smart. Gotta chuckle about that defense. Unorganized and stupid ! That ought to work. The defense even supplied witnesses that testified to those very facts. Yes Judge, Senator Currie is an honest man, he is just stupid ! It wasn't his fault,he was unorganized. If he had only seen some of those "as seen on TV " products that would get you organized he wouldn't be in this mess. But he was too stupid to turn on the television.
Each and every Senator is entitled to hire 18 aids. That's right eighteen,look it up. I suppose all eighteen where so busy they couldn't have reminded him or filled out the paperwork for his signature. Give me a break. It is admirable that he paid the due taxes on this " income." But to suggest that it wasn't fully disclosed because of a lack of organizational skills or plain stupidity is laughable. C'mon Senator. And the fact that he would even allow the lawyers to present him in that light says something to me about his character. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay you to tell the world that I'm stupid ! The citizens of Maryland elected him, so what does that say ? I didn't vote for him ! Really I didn't.
As I said it falls into the category of laughing to keep from crying. All those years of law school and the best you can do is, he isn't organized ? Is that a brilliant defense or what ? I can't wait to hear what the jury has to say about that. Should be interesting. The facts are simple, he received the money and didn't file the correct paperwork. He doesn't claim he didn't know he should file that paperwork (ignorance of the law is no excuse) but that he meant to do it, but he was unorganized ! In a way I'm hoping he wins. That would set a wonderful precedent. You see Judge I intended to drive the speed limit but I was unorganized at the time and exceeded it. I admit I was stupid.
If this trend in defense continues to be allowed we could all benefit from it. Wouldn't need lawyers anymore. Hire any child and they can come up with a defense easy enough. Ask any kid if they did it and see what the answer will be ? Only kid in the room, Did you spill that milk ? As they stand there holding a glass of milk they will tell you, NO, wasn't me. Did you take out the trash,No, but I meant too.

No comments:

Post a Comment