Monday, October 10, 2011

Decorations

It is getting time to decorate.Used to be Christmas was the only time of year to really decorate the outside of your home. That isn't so anymore. Sometime back I saw people hanging Easter eggs in trees in their yard,a very curious thing to me, and lately I have seen lighted pumpkins appearing in them as well. I'm thinking maybe,just maybe,we are going a little overboard with this decorating stuff.
I admit I have different items I hang on my door for the different seasons and various holidays. I keep a few window clings around too. The grand kids may make a few decorations that will be posted on the fridge or taped to the wall in the hallway. I wouldn't say I go all out for every occasion. Some years back,when my own kids were younger, we would do quite a bit for Halloween. Christmas has always been the big one. I have even scaled down that a bit over the years. I suspect most people do.
It is just not the decorating for every holiday but the extent of the decorations and how far in advance they are erected. Although if it is going to take me a few days to put them up, I suppose I would want to do that early so I could enjoy them longer. I have seen some displays that would compete with any park ! I am of the opinion that too many and it just looks tacky ! A moderate display tastefully done is what I enjoy the most.
I wonder how this came to be ? How did this get out of hand ? Is it trying to keep up with the Jones ? It is trying to show everyone how much spirit you have ? Or is it as simple as, it has become fashionable. And fashion,as we all know, doesn't have to make sense. It is just the fashion.
I do tend to think that nowadays everything is getting to be a bit elaborate. Nothing simple any more.  Few holiday displays do not contain some form of lighting or music. Few are homemade. When I was little a piece of a bed sheet wrapped around a basketball and hung from the tree was a ghost. Scarecrows were just sticks with old clothes on them. A string of Christmas lights across the roof line of your house was pretty much all out. Might have a few candles in the windows. Those candles are year round things now. As for me, I still enjoy the simple displays the best. A natural wreath hung on the front door says Merry Christmas. I want a real Christmas Tree ! No plastic please. It will not be erected until late December, just a few days before and comes down on New Years day.

A number of homes around here have their Halloween decorations up. I went up to the attic and retrieved my two ghosts. One is the traditional white and the other is a pumpkin orange. Had them for a number of years now. You could say I scaled back my decorating considerably. I'm sure the kids will want to add something and that is fine with me. Maybe I'll teach them how to make a traditional scarecrow this year or a basketball ghost. Less is better and I can't wait for that to come into fashion. Eggs and pumpkins in trees ? Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment