Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cures or excuses

With all the advertising the drug companies do on television I can't help but wonder, are they making cures or excuses ? Seems like there is a pill for just about anything and everything imaginable.
Don't feel like working for a living ? Not your fault, you probably need some medication. Feel a little down,no problem got a pill for that. Everything you can think of,they have the cure.
Now I'm not saying there aren't people out there who genuinely require these medications. There certainly are and I'm thankful that some relief can be provided.But as to the necessity of some,that's questionable in my mind.
What I am saying is there are some things you should learn to live with. When you get older, maybe your vigor isn't that of a twenty year old, that's a natural thing. Why try to medicate yourself back thirty years ? They do inform you to ask your doctor if your heart can stand it ! All the disclaimers attached to these drugs make me nervous. I don't know how you feel, but I ain't taking something that doesn't really have proven results and the disclaimer says, has been known to cause death, although we aren't sure if it was  the medication. Say What ! You don't know ? Yeah, give me a script for that.
And that's another thing. These companies spend thousands of dollars for this advertising. I can only assume they want to reach the greatest number of people possible for their money. So, to carry that thought a little further wouldn't they also word the commercial so most people would understand it ? Ever listen to one ? The acronyms and abbreviations are just a flyin'. Afib,psd, tnt,lsd or pad. Names of drugs mentioned like everyday greetings. Paxil ,Avandia or whatever.
Most of them I have no clue about at all. I have no idea what that drug is or it's use. My point here is this, an awful lot of people must know or the advertiser wouldn't do that. Seems strange to me that there are that many knowledgeable people on the subject. Either that, or I'm just living in a cave. If there really are that many users of a certain drug why advertise it in the first place ? Isn't an advertisement an inducement to buy a product ? Do I have a choice ? The answer to both questions is yes. I choose not to presume based on a television ad to tell the doctor what drug I need or do not need. Must be annoying to the doctors.
Well, to get back to my original thought. Are they providing cures or excuses ? My opinion is there are too many excuses being offered. Yes I'm older and my joints creak and moan a little bit. Deal with it. My hair is thinning, it happens. I'm not as active as I was thirty years ago, well no kidding ! I get depressed at times, probably because I'm human. Maybe if we quit looking to the drug companies to provide us with a " cure " for everything we would all be better off. Life progresses in a natural way. May not be the way you like it.
Deal with it ! And don't get me started with the " scooter store. " Their primary motto seems to be, " at no cost to me " No, the cost is to you and I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment