Saturday, October 22, 2011

Settled

After twenty years of wandering,being directed really,I think I've finally settled down in Maryland. Never gave Maryland a thought before moving here. Maryland,the old line state,they call it. Has a couple of other nick names as well that escape me at the moment. I live on what is called the eastern shore. The name says it all. I live on the eastern shore of the United States. Did that in New York where I was born too. Only things different is I was on an Island and now I'm a little further south.
As good a place as any I suppose.I would like to be closer to the bay, but oh well,can't have it all. Maryland is a border state. By that I mean part of it was considered in the north and part of it was in the south. The Mason Dixon line runs not very far from where I live. Less than twenty miles in fact. As a result we have Rebels and Yankees. The Rebels are the more popular group,by far. Heard about them growing up in New York but never saw any. I'm a Yankee. Always knew that, but never gave it any thought. It's a pretty popular topic of conversation down here. Being called a Yankee ain't a good thing. I think it is all just silly. Grown men acting like a bunch of fools. And the kicker is most don't have any idea what they are talking about. I say little and just smile a lot. It's like a religion with these people and it is best not to offend them. It is a popular trend and will pass in time.
One odd little fact I read about Maryland is it has no natural lakes. It does have some ponds and some man made lakes but no natural lakes at all. Something to do with the glaciers not reaching this far south. Other southern states have natural lakes don't they ? Curious but according to Wikipedia,true. It was one of the thirteen original colonies and is mostly Catholic and Methodists. It was the last of the original colonies to ratify the articles of confederation. Number eight to become a state.
Does seem a little strange at times. I still have my New York accent. In reality it is everyone else that talks funny but I won't go into that. As a result I am immediately identified as a Yankee. And not just any old Yankee,a New York Yankee ! And them New York Yankees are the worst kind. Ask any Rebel and he will tell you that. So I have adapted a little and sprinkle a few, ya'll and over yonders, in my vocabulary. A good yee haw once in a while doesn't hurt.
And so I'm living here in this land as a foreigner. Always will be too. A Yank can't turn into a Rebel. That would be like a leopard changing his spots,it ain't happening. No matter, I wear my New York Yankees ball cap proudly. I still speak New York. I don't think the south will rise again. More than likely I will be laid to rest in this confederate soil. No, that ain't strictly accurate. If you go by the Mason Dixon line I'm in northern territory. Don't tell these old boys around here though.

No comments:

Post a Comment