Sunday, October 23, 2011

Getting to know the neighbors

Yesterday I wrote about living in Maryland. How I am a foreigner in this land. I'm a resident of Greensboro but not a native. Never will be. I went on to say I'll probably be buried here. That is just the way it goes.
Well today I went to the cemetery to photograph some memorials. I do that as a service to others researching their family tree. I get requests in e-mail and try to find the memorial. The least I can do and hope others will do the same for me. As I rode very slowly through the lanes trying to read the names, I was thinking. A lot of those names are in here,must have been a large family. The oldest stones date back to the late 1800's. Fairly new in the overall picture. Back in my hometown on Long Island graves dating from the 1700's are not uncommon and a few prior to that. Still, you can see several generations all laid out in rows. All resting together.
The one thing that did occur to me, for the first time, was I am getting to know too many of the graves in there on a personal level. Prior neighbors and friends that have gone to their final glory. That is a marker of how long you have lived in an area. That and how many ancestors are there. I'm guessing I'll be the first in Greensboro.(ancestor that is). My son that lives in Greensboro has his two children that may stay in Greensboro. That is assuming he does . I can't see him going anywhere else. He is well established and running for re-election as town commissioner. He says his goal is to be Mayor some day.
Some people may think this is morbid talk, but not me. Fact is, I will die someday. Fact is, I gotta be buried somewhere. Just as simple as that. There are currently no Reicharts in the Greensboro cemetery. I don't really want to be the first, but the alternative doesn't appeal to me either. I'll be first, somebody has to do it.
Enough of that. Stating the obvious. But now having thought about all of that I guess I need to think about buying some real estate. Permanent real estate. That's a creepy thought. One of those things you gotta do, I suppose. I wouldn't want to leave it to someone else to deal with. It is only right to settle up your affairs as much as possible. Have to look into that. (Deep Sigh) I hate being older and responsible. Bring on senility !
Just fooling around. I expect to be here a good while yet. It could be a comfort to know where you are going exactly. I'm getting to know my neighbors ! We are going to be there awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment