Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Corn Doll

I'm not a real big fan of horror. There are enough bad things going on in the world without creating more. I did go through a period when I read a lot of it by one author, Stephen King.
For reasons I still can't explain I was captivated by his writing.  Then some of his stories were adopted for television. Misery is my favorite one. That movie just makes me wince every time I think about it. Kathy Bates was so convincing as the lead character. I think the first Stephen King television movie I watched was The Children of the Corn. Misguided children killing all the adults in town. A cult leader, He who walks behind the stalks, and ritual sacrifice. Just creeps me out man !
At about this time the wife and I took the kids to old Sturbridge village in Massachusetts. A living museum this town was an interesting place to visit. We watched as the farmers worked the land with horse and plow. Everything was being done the old fashioned way. The land was beautiful and no modern trappings in sight. They had a gift shop,of course, and being the dutiful tourists we went in. The shop was crammed full of handmade items and home baked goods. Pies,cakes,cookies,Jams and Jellies galore. Folk art decorative pieces. Wreaths made of vines and wooden shelves painted with country hearts. I remember spending some time in there admiring all that handiwork. I just love handmade objects. After having selected a few items we decided to check out. As I got to the counter there was a wooden barrel, or should I say cask, next to the counter that I hadn't noticed before. Peering inside that cask I saw them ! Corn Dolls ! My mind immediately traveled to that Stephen King movie. The Children of the Corn. I just had to buy one. Even though the things creep me out I had to have one. It is now part of my fall/Halloween decoration.
I know the movie had nothing to do with the corn doll. But for some reason an immediate association between the two was created, and exists to this day. I  picture some little girl hiding in the corn field, scythe by her side, talking and playing with the corn doll. Daddy is mean,Daddy needs to be punished. Oh my ! So why do I have that corn doll ? For the same reason you have to look at an accident. You just can't help it. It is a creepy thing for sure,at least to my mind, but I gotta have it.
The children of the corn need toys too !

No comments:

Post a Comment