Monday, August 31, 2015

The final third

 August of 2015 is quickly fading away. Soon the leaves will begin their descent and the world turns gray. Oh, there will be a final splash of color but in the end, gray. September, for me, has always been associated with birthdays. Mom,Dad, both brothers, some of their wives and children, all born in September. So I see September as the month everyone else gets older. Better them than me ! It is an illusion of the mind and one I enjoy. This year I turned sixty two and so attention was drawn to that. I'm going to collect my social security ! The final birthday gift you might say, I'll keep getting it till I die. I'm taking my gift early, could've waited for a few more years but time waits for no man. I'll begin the celebration !
 My Dad and my brother Harold were both born in September. Dad in '24 and Harold in '47. Both have passed on and I miss them. Mom will be 86 this year. Hard to think of your Mom as being 86. I don't feel all that old, so how could she be ? Even harder still to think of the implications of that number. I spoke with her just yesterday and she doesn't feel very old either. Oh, she was a little upset with her new cell phone, it had somehow taken a " selfie " of her ! She was quite dismayed by that for some reason, couldn't understand why anyone would take a picture of themselves. Says she is getting rid of that " thing. " She is going to return to her Trac Fone from Walmart. Just buy some time on it, pretty basic stuff but advanced technology for her.
 September song, by Willie Nelson, is one of my favorites. " When the autumn weather, turns leaves to flame, one hasn't got time, for the waiting game. " That line pretty much sums it up now doesn't it ? Once you reach a certain age I think that it becomes relevant to us all. The age may vary,  but the validity of the statement does not. I have no more time to wait. We call it our " bucket list " these days after that movie. Well I don't plan to kick to the bucket anytime soon. But that isn't what the movie was really about anyway. It was really about forgetting and forgiving. If you have seen the movie you already knew that, if you haven't, watch it.
 The fall arrives in September. When I was a kid it marked the return to school. Those lazy, crazy,hazy days of summer gone. It was " back to work " and time to buckle down. The cold weather would be arriving soon as well. That meant more time indoors. I didn't have all the " activities " that the kids do these days. The cold days indoors were spent reading or maybe playing a board game. I could play records too. My collection wasn't very large, so I soon became bored with that. Mom would find things for us to do, quoting her Mother, " idle hands are the devil's workshop ". It had to be awful cold for us kids to stay indoors though, so it didn't happen often.
 September marks the beginning of the final third of the year. Just four months till 2016. My grandson will graduate high school in 2019, that's just around the corner. September brings with it a sense of urgency. That is what Willie Nelson was singing about, that feeling of urgency. I am starting to understand the sentiment. I just don't have the time to wait or waste anymore. The days do dwindle down to a precious few but you can add to those days. Start today. Start right now, September begins tomorrow, don't wait. Well because that lady a few years ago said it best when she said, " ain't nobody got time for that ! " 

No comments:

Post a Comment